Revelation 1:6 and made us Kingdom priests to His God and Father – to Him be the glory and the power unto the ages of the ages, Amen! 7 Look! He is coming with the clouds! And every eye will see Him, even of those who pierced Him. And all the tribes of the land will wail because of Him! Truly, Amen! 8 “I am the alpha and the omega, the beginning and the end,” says the Master, the God who is, and who was, and who is to come, THE SOVEREIGN OVER ALL.
Verse 6 made us “Kingdom priests”
- A FUTURE role (Rev. 20:6; Rev. 3:12) and we are NOW in TRAINING for this role (1 Pet. 2:4-5,9)
to HIS God and Father. Jesus has a “God” (John 20:17; Rom. 15:6; 2 Cor. 1:3; 2 Cor. 11:31; Eph. 1:3; Col. 1:3; 1 Pet. 1:3; Rev. 3:12)
Jesus is sometimes called “God” due to full sovereignty given to Him in certain circumstances (Heb. 1:8-9 quoting Psalm 45).
The term “God” defines a relationship, like “Master.” (Rev. 22:7)
pagan deities were called “gods” because they allegedly had sovereignty over a particular aspect of nature. (god of war, god of the Nile, god of fertility, etc.)
The “one God” statements in the OT refer to YHVH’s sole Sovereignty over everything and everyone. (see vs. 8)
To HIM (Jesus) be glory & power unto ages of ages – WORSHIP of Jesus
Matt. 4:8 Worship is due to God alone (1st Commandment)
Jesus accepted “worship” on many occasions (Matt. 2:11; 8:2; 9:18; 14:33; 15:25; 28:9,17).
God wants the Son to be worshipped (John 5:23)
Worship of the Son is vicarious worship of His Father who sent Him.
Verse 7 He is coming with clouds (Dan. 7:13-14)
- After the tribulation, the HOPE of Christians (Matt. 24:29-31)
- All tribes will mourn (vs. 30) – “tribes” in the NT refers to the 12 tribes of Israel (Rev. 7:4)
- Those who pierced Him (Zech. 12:8 – 13:1)
Verse 8 From the Father:
- Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end (cf. Isa. 44:6 & Rev. 1:17)
- The God who IS – YHVH
- Who was & is to come (eternal)
- The SOVEREIGN OVER ALL. (not “Almighty”)