Some teach that the Church will be raptured before the events that begin in Revelation 4:1. This teaching is based on the argument that since the term Church is not used in chapters 4–21 of Revelation, the Church must no longer be on earth at that time. However, this assumption is based on silence rather than on Scripture. There is much evidence in Revelation that the saints are living and functioning on earth during the tribulation.
- The great harvest of souls from all nations occurs during the tribulation.
The Church will not be absent at the time of our greatest increase and effectiveness in evangelism.
Behold, a great multitude which no one could number, of all nations, tribes, peoples, and tongues, standing before the throne…14 These are the ones who come out of the great tribulation, and washed their robes and made them white in the blood of the Lamb. (Rev. 7:9, 14)
This gospel of the kingdom will be preached in all the world as a witness to all the nations, and then the end will come. (Matt. 24:14)
2. The saints will overcome Satan and the Antichrist with great victory during the tribulation.
They overcame him (Satan) by the blood of the Lamb and by the word of their testimony, and they did not love their lives to the death. (Revelation 12:11)
I saw…those who have the victory over the beast (Antichrist), over his image and over his mark…standing on the sea of glass, having harps of God. (Revelation 15:2)
3. Some saints will be martyred during the tribulation.
The Church must be on earth at that time.
For they have shed the blood of saints and prophets… (Revelation 16:6)
I saw the woman (Harlot Babylon), drunk with the blood of the saints and with the blood of the martyrs of Jesus. (Revelation 17:6)
In her (Harlot Babylon) was found the blood of prophets and saints… (Revelation 18:24)
He has avenged on her (Harlot Babylon) the blood of His servants shed by her. (Revelation 19:2)
Rejoice…you holy apostles and prophets, for God has avenged you on her! (Rev. 18:20)
How long…until You judge and avenge our blood on those who dwell on the earth? 11…they should rest a little while longer, until both the number of their fellow servants and their brethren, who would be killed as they were, was completed. (Rev. 6:10–11)
I saw the souls of those who had been beheaded for their witness to Jesus and for the word of God, who had not worshiped the beast (Antichrist)… (Rev. 20:4)
- Satan and the Antichrist will war against the saints during the tribulation.
The dragon (Satan) was enraged with the woman, and he went to make war with the rest of her offspring, who keep the commandments of God and have the testimony of Jesus Christ. (Rev. 12:17)
It was granted to him (Antichrist) to make war with the saints…10 Here is the patience and the faith of the saints. (Rev. 13:7, 10)
Here is the patience of the saints; here are those who keep the commandments of God and the faith of Jesus. 13…Blessed are the dead who die in the Lord from now on. (Rev. 14:12–13)
5. Do not harm the earth, the sea, or the trees till we have sealed the servants of our God on their foreheads…
4 One hundred and forty-four thousand of all the tribes of the children of Israel were sealed… (Rev. 7:3–4)
One hundred and forty-four thousand, having His Father’s name written on their foreheads…3 were redeemed from the earth. 4 These…follow the Lamb wherever He goes. These were redeemed from among men, being firstfruits to God and to the Lamb. (Rev. 14:1–4)
They were commanded not to harm the grass of the earth, or any green thing, or any tree, but only those men who do not have the seal of God on their foreheads. (Rev. 9:4)
6. The saints’ prayers during the tribulation will release the trumpet judgments.
Another angel…was given much incense, that he should offer it with the prayers of all the saints…4 The smoke of the incense, with the prayers of the saints, ascended before God from the angel’s hand. 5 Then the angel took the censer, filled it with fire from the altar, and threw it to the earth. (Rev. 8:3–5)
7. Jesus comes back to earth in answer to the prayer of saints crying out for His return. The Spirit and the Bride say, “Come!” (Rev. 22:17)
8. Prophetic ministry will increase greatly during the tribulation (Revelation 11:3–6, 10, 18; 16:6; 18:20, 24; 22:6–9; Joel 2:28–32; Acts 2:17–21; Eph. 4:13; Dan. 11:33–35; 12:10).
The seven thunders prophecies were sealed in John’s generation with the intention of being released during the tribulation to the end-time prophets.
When the seven thunders uttered their voices, I was about to write; but I heard a voice from heaven saying to me, “Seal up the things which the seven thunders uttered, and do not write them.” (Rev. 10:4)
9. The two witnesses or prophets will be born-again believers.
Will give power to my two witnesses, and they will prophesy 1,260 days… (Rev. 11:3)
These two prophets tormented those who dwell on the earth. (Rev. 11:10)
10. Calculating the number of the Antichrist will only be relevant to those living in the tribulation.
Here is wisdom. Let him who has understanding calculate the number of the beast, for it is the number of a man: His number is 666. (Rev. 13:18)
11. Believers who watch and prayer until the time of the bowl judgments (Revelation 16) will be blessed instead of suffering loss at the time of Jesus’ Second Coming.
Behold, I am coming as a thief. Blessed is he who watches, and keeps his garments, lest he walk naked and they see his shame.” (Rev. 16:15)
12. Only those on earth during the events prophesied by John are in a position to keep the prophecy.
Behold, I am coming quickly! Blessed is he who keeps the words of the prophecy of this book.” (Revelation 22:7)
13. An angel commands God’s people to leave Babylon just prior to her final judgment in Revelation 18.
I heard another voice from heaven saying, “Come out of her, my people, lest you share in her sins, and lest you receive of her plagues. (Revelation 18:4)
14. Jesus’ bride is prepared in the context of the final judgment of Babylon during the tribulation (Revelation 19:1-10).
An angel revealed to Daniel that the saints would be purified during the pressures of the tribulation (Daniel 11:33–35; 12:10)
For the marriage of the Lamb has come, and His wife has made herself ready. 8 And to her it was granted to be arrayed in fine linen, clean and bright, for the fine linen is the righteous acts of the saints. (Rev. 19:7)
Many shall be purified, made white, and refined, but the wicked shall do wickedly…but the wise shall understand. (Dan. 12:10)